Room 7, Harewood School, New Zealand

Welcome to our Blog.We'd love you to make a comment.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bird facts

The Moa is an interesting bird because it was hunted by the Maori people and the moa can't fly because it is flightless.The Moa is a native bird to New Zealand.-Alec

I learnt that the Moa is 3 meters tall.I also learnt that a Kakapo is a flightless bird and camouflage in trees and shrubs to defend themselves from predators.Birds can fake an injury to defend themselves and there children as well.A bird that has always been in New Zealand and found no where else is called an endemic bird.-Bonnie

I learnt that Moa are related to the Kiwi . Some birds are native they are found in other countries some birds are Endemic so they have always been in New Zealand and some  birds were self introduced  so they swam or flew here. Zoe.

I learnt that the Hasst Eagle was extinct because the Moa its prey was hunted by the Maori to e

The eastern rosella lays six eggs a once!Maxim

I learnt that the Takahe were thought to be extinct in 1948. Then a person named Dr Geoffrey had rediscovered the Takahe in lake Te Anau in Fiordland but they only found a few Takahe. They call it Takahe valley. The North island Takahe is extinct but South island still have about 220 Takahe. David

I learnt that the female Moa was 3 metres tall and it sounded like a light saber.Toby

I learnt that there are more then 9,000 species of birds in the world.Dion

I learnt that kea lives in the alpine areas.They camouflage when they are in danger.Grace

Kiwi are living. kiwi come out at night.They are nocturnal.SAM    

1 comment:

  1. Well I think I need to go back to school. You guys know so much about everything. I learnt heaps about birds on our wee trip on Thursday.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete